Sunday, June 22, 2008

Wonderful Trip Home


John and I had a truly wonderful trip home from a very restful and pleasant visit with Harry, Bill, and their families. I wish we could have all been together, but maybe some other time...

John and I left early Friday morning and began our drive with a trip through Zion National Park. I had forgotten just how beautiful it is!

We made our way to highway 89 and took off through Indian country, once again through pretty spectacular scenery. I wondered what first, second, and third mesa meant on the map. As we descended from each mesa, I began to realize that they were high and huge. We stopped in one of the villages for gasoline and lunch. I was very tempted by the pottery and jewelry for sale in the store. It is a good thing that we were in a hurry. I could have spent lots of money.



When we turned onto I-40 at Gallup, I began to notice a bank of dark clouds in the east and wondered if we would drive into rain. The night before, it had stormed in the North Texas area. Amarillo had had very high winds, hail, and lots of rain. Lubbock avoided the damaging wind and hail, but had had rain. This was on my mind as we made our way east. We turned off toward Vaughn, NM and drove into really amazing clouds. I looked them up on the internet and have found a similar picture, though it is really not nearly as spectacular as the ones that completely covered the skies over New Mexico.



Just after sundown, we drove under a spectacular rainbow. It was really quite an experience. I was so grateful for a safe, beautiful trip home.

Thanks to Sarah for sharing her sweet Ashton with me for our transformer party, to Harry and Rhonda for the hospitality and fun, to John for the traveling company, and to Bill and Linda for teaching us how to play golf. It was really fun.

4 comments:

emily w. said...

Sounds like you had a fun time, wish we could have been there. It would be fun to organize a big reunion sometime for all the extended Reed family. Glad you're home safe.

Mom/Linda said...

Lest anyone think we were doing anything athletic, I hasten to add that we played golf, THE CARD GAME. Glad you made it home safe. It looks like you saw some wonderful sights.

Eliza said...

Sounds like you guys had a good time you're such a good sister for organizing this little reunion. I guess as first daughter that will one day be my responibility. I will call you later about my little trip to Dallas and possibly arranging a little drop off. :)Thanks!!

Unknown said...

When you visit I always know there is going to be a lot of laughter and fun and good conversation! Thank YOU and John for traveling all that way. It really meant a lot to Harry to reunite with his brothers and sister. Miss you, Rhonda