And now, boys and girls, settle yourselves down for a fun tale of danger and intrigue I like to call, "The Tell-Tale Wheat" or "Why Some Church Callings Are Just Plain Fun".As the ward "Emergency Preparedness Specialist" (are you kidding me?????), I recently helped our stake with the annual bulk food order from the bishop's storehouse. Sounded simple. Pass out a few forms, collect checks, turn them into the stake. How hard can it be???
Trust me! It can be very hard when the little addendum to the form offers "local wheat from Semilole, Tx--- 50 lbs for $15".
When our ward members, many of them new to food storage, picked up their local wheat they were surprised to find it in bags marked with warnings such as: "Do not feed to livestock" and "if consumed, induce vomiting". As this all happened when I was in Utah, Vicki got a call asking her advise and she, not knowing, referred the call to the stake. (I did not raise a dummy). Shortly after I got home, I began to get the picture. The stake contracted with a seed producing facility in Semilole that was going out of business for their leftover wheat. Now, seed wheat is processed a little differently from wheat which is destined for consumption. It is treated with fertilizer and chemicals to discourage insects and to encourage quick germination in the soil. Seeds that are treated and might pose a danger if ingested are are also tinted a bright, florescent pink as a signal that they are poisonous. Our wheat not only came in bags marked poison, but was also tinted the bright, florescent pink.... causing a few scardey-cats to question it.
I am trying to straighten the whole mess out, and, believe me... it is a mess. I called and got wonderful advise from our "what to do in your calling" gurus, Bill and Linda, and am well on the way to extricating myself from the debacle.
And now, boys and girls, PECANS! Chip has a friend with a pecan orchard needing to unload last year's crop. We have 3 lb. sealed bags of shelled pecans, excellent size and quality, for 15.oo. That's 5 bucks a pound. Anyone interested???


3 comments:
This is Harry. I would like 2 or 3bags of pecans. I assume that they freeze ok. Guess that we will pass on the pink wheat.
We sure enjoyed your visit and are glad you made it home safe.
You forgot the part of the story where everybody was supposed to trust in the assurances of one woman (not you) despite the evidence of "their lying eyes."
We would like 2 bags of pecans. Let us know the total with shipping nd we will send you a check.
I'm allergic to both pecans and pink wheat so I will have to decline the offer. We are talking about coming down to Lubbock this weekend for the 4th. I will give you a call when we figure it all out.
Post a Comment