
Emily's blogs about her stayvations around Texas and Linda's comment about the "California nanny state" has generated a spirited discussion around our little humble home about our love and pride in the Great State of Texas. So.... following is a list of reasons why everyone should be envious of those fortunate enough to be Texans.
1. Our legislature manages to do all of the state's business in 180 days every OTHER year and then they get the hell home and tend their cows.
2. We don't care if our governor is an Austrian actor, because our governor does absolutely nothing. The business end of things rests with the Lt. Gov.
3. We have an open door policy with the buildings that the PEOPLE own. It's their building so of course it is ok for children to sit on the speaker's lectern.
4. Texas children spend all of 4th and 7th grade social studies studying our state's history.
5. We never really joined the union. Most of us still cling to our heritage as citizens of a sovereign nation.
6. Dallas Cowboys... nuff said.
7. Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders...nuff said. (Matt's contribution)
8. Personal liberty. That's why you never know who's packing a concealed weapon.
9. Shopping: guns, liquor, anti-depressants, and diapers all in the same store.
10. Kinky Freedman
11. More Sonic Drive-Ins than Starbucks
12. The Heroes of the Alamo. We have serious movies about the Alamo (California..."Zorro the Gay Blade?)
13. Ted Nugent
14. Beef... its whats for dinner!
15. They don't call it "Walker Utah Ranger"
16. We never had a gay governor
17. Chuck Woolery
18. We don't pay for peanuts when we fly
19. We believe that every man has a God given right to own a Ford or Chevy and display his firearms in the back window of his pickup
20. Our Capitol building and the San Jacinto monument are both taller than similar structures in Washington DC
Did we mention humility?


5 comments:
OK, I have to say that growing up I was a little baffled by the Texas pride that bubbles over on the Reed side of the family.
But now that we are legal residents of the great state of Texas (we've only been here a year and a half, I don't think that makes us "actual Texans" yet) I am beginning to understand where all this pride comes from.
Texas really is a great state. In addition to all the things that Laura listed (and I have to give a personal amen to the Sonic comment...hello Happy Hour anyone?) I have found that the people in Texas are friendly, down to earth, and "real" for lack of a better word.
We count ourselves blessed to be here and hope to aspire to the title of "True Texan" someday.
Maybe Abby can start tutoring us in Texas history when she hits 4th grade.
Okay...I HAVE to stir the pot a little just for the sake of being "fair and balanced."
1. It isn't The California Chainsaw Massacre.
2. We don't have cheerleaders or their mothers killing each other to get a place on the squad.
3. The Pacific Ocean, the Dodgers, the Lakers, Santa Barbara, San Diego, the Beach Boys, Disneyland, Carmel, the redwoods, Mount McKinley, surfing, AND...(drum roll please) Jack in the Box and In and Out Burgers!
I think we should all just count our blessings that we don't live in Rhode Island and call it good.
P.S.
4. Ronald Reagan
That's for Chip.
Ronald Reagan was from Tampico, Illinois... don't try to slip one up on me.
I didn't count those yankees (the Bush family)
I'm going to sit the fence on this one. I think they are both great and would be proud to call either home, but unless home prices in California drop considerably
we could never live there! Texas is affordable and I agree with Laura on all it's offerings but it's Utah for us. For now at least. Plus we have a Sonic a block away. H yeah on the Happy Hour!
Post a Comment