Monday, March 16, 2009

Take An Aspirin and Go To Bed..


Most of you know that I have a wonderful relationship with my pain doctor. He has a funny name, but is handsome and kind...just like a pain doctor should be. It wouldn't make much sense to have an ugly and irritable pain doctor; after all, part of relieving pain is emotional. Anyway, my doctor, Bolkar Shainler, (I haven't asked him the derivation of his name..I assume Slavic of some kind) did a small surgical procedure this morning on my spine.

I have what he says is the worse neck he has seen in his years of practice. All of my disks in my neck are bulging and pressing on my spine. The lower two are causing terrible pain in my left arm. I am not able to lift it. This is very inconvenient. We do a lot of things in our life that require lifting both arms. So, it finally got bad enough that I let him inject some cortisone into the spinal canal. It involved inserting a catheter and threading it up to the correct space to inject the medicine.

He sent me home to rest for 24 hours and take it very easy for the rest of the week.

I am hoping that after the physical therapy I will be relatively pain free in my arm. It would be nice.

Meanwhile, we are on Spring Break this week. Joshua is in tennis camp for the week. Matt and Harvey are spending the week doing major body work on the car Matt wrecked a few months ago. Vicki is spending the week playing with her boys and catching up around the house. It will be fun.

I miss and love you all. Keep in touch.

2 comments:

Stitching Hen said...

Harry told me over the phone that you were having the procedure, but I didn't know it had already happened. Hope you are resting comfortably this evening and we are crossing our fingers it helps. Sure love you, sis.

Mom/Linda said...

We need an update. How are you feeling a week later? I know you were hopeful when we talked on the phone--I hope it has proved to be helpful.