Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Memories of Susie

This is the 15th anniversary of Susie's death and, as usual, it is a reflective day for me. I remember so well her smile and laugh. That alone is a great legacy, but she was so much more.

The twins had their 3rd birthday party Saturday and invited most of their fellow nursery students as well as their cousins. It was a princess party complete with tacky gausey toystore costumes. Susie would have thought it was great! If there was anything she loved it was little children dressed up in cheesy costumes. I could hear her laugh as they all lined up for a photo. It was wonderful.

Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving. I am particularly thankful this year for the temple and the opportunity our family had to bind our family for eternity and that this separation from Susan is only temporary.

Thanks for listening........

5 comments:

Eliza said...

I also had Susie on my mind over Thanksgiving. While Jeremy and I drove to NM I took the opportunity to tell him what I loved about Susie. Her laugh and great sense of humor where at the top of my list. I always thought she was just "cool". She always took time to let me hang out with her even though I was younger then her. Thanks for sharing your memories of Susie it's always good to remember and share.

Carl said...

Of all my cousins Susie was the one I felt closest to. This could be because she was closest to my age but I think it had more to do with the way that she always included me in her activities whenever we visited. I have great memories of hanging out with her and her friends when we visited Texas, and feeling totally welcome and included. I remember going to see Edward Scissorhands with her and her friend and having such a good time laughing at what a bizarre and funny movie it was.

I looked forward to possibly being in the MTC at the same time with her and I remember thinking of her often while I was there. It will be a wonderful day when we can greet her and others like Grannie and Auntie again someday.

Stitching Hen said...

Thank you, Laura, for writing about Susie. A very special memory I have of her was when we colored Easter eggs together at the Clearwell house. We laughed alot that day because some of the eggs turned out to be pretty silly looking. The three things that come most to mind when I think of Susie are: 1) her whole attitude was, "What can I do to help?" 2) she was quick to get a joke and liked to laugh and laughed often and 3) she was the easiest person in the world to like and feel comfortable with. I'm sure she was born having that very sweet temperment she had, but the credit also goes to being incredibly lucky to have the wonderful parents she had, too.

emily w. said...

I'm finally getting to check blogs now that the company is all leaving. I was so glad that you were able to come to San Antonio for the blessing and we could spend some time together.

I have such fun memories of visiting your family in Canyon when we were young and I remember Susie as the cool older cousin. I have this one memory of you playing that song, "My Name is Luca" and that other song that just says "Oh yeah" and singing it along with Susie and some of her friends. She really did have a way of making everyone feel welcome and special. Even a dorky younger cousin.

Mom/Linda said...

I'm here in St. George, checking up on all my peeps before we hit the road for home tomorrow. We really enjoyed having you along for the ride to San Antonio and we had a great time there with everyone. You were wonderful company, especially considering what a hard time of year it is for you. I often think about Susan's funeral and the words spoken by Scott Hendricks. He said that Susan, knowing what mortality would possibly hold for her, made the choice to come to earth and did so in order to follow Heavenly Father's plan for her and for all those who love her. With our limited vision we have to rely on faith. I know that Susan, with her expanded vision and understanding, is so appreciative of the faith you have developed and of the example that you set for all of us.