Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Why it's so hard to learn English

I saw this on the net and thought I'd share. Anyone who has ever coached an elementary school student in their spelling has run into this difficulty, too. Maybe I should back off of my attitude about immigrants (legal or otherwise) learning to communicate in this country in English.

  1. The bandage was wound around the wound.
  2. The farm was used to produce produce.
  3. The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
  4. We must polish the Polish furniture.
  5. He could lead if he would get the lead out.
  6. The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
  7. Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
  8. At the army base a bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
  9. When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
  10. I did not object to the object.
  11. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
  12. There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
  13. They were too close to the door to close it.
  14. The buck does funny things when the does are present.
  15. A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
  16. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
  17. The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
  18. After a number of injections my jaw got number.
  19. Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
  20. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
  21. How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
  22. You park in a driveway, yet drive on a parkway

  23. NOTE: Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

  24. Why do "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean the same thing?
  25. Why do "tug" boats push their barges?
  26. Why are they called "stands" when they are made for sitting?
  27. Why is it called "after dark" when it's really "after light"?
  28. Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?
  29. Why do they call it a TV set, when you only get one?
  30. How come abbreviated is such a long word?

1 comment:

Mom/Linda said...

It's a wonder any of us can speak the language! That said, I still get really irritated with people who grew up speaking English and still mangle the language. I think I'm watching too much "Judge Judy." And now I sound like a cranky old person.