Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween 2009






We began our Halloween planning early last spring. You see, Halloween in our family is a "Happening" and not just one of many yearly holidays. It is an "Extravaganza" requiring many hours of careful planning and consideration.

Our considering and mulling began with ideas about our costumes. Maggie, Ellen, and I discussed many options, but our first "working plans" were settled by the beginning of summer when Ellen decided that she would like to be Moses in his Egyptian period. Maggie chimed in with Miriam, Moses' mother in her grief filled moment of placing her sweet babe in with the bulrushes at the mercy of the elements and an all knowing Heavenly Father.

By the time Halloween rolled around, plans had firmed up with Ellen as a vampire princess and Maggie as Pharaoh's wife....or "a" Pharaoh's wife...maybe Cleopatra.

I wish I had taken pictures... but, we had a wonderful seasonal activity with the younger grandchildren. The kids helped me as I took pieces of cut up wienies and we pushed several uncooked spaghetti noodles through each piece of hotdog. When we had a bowlful of them we boiled the whole mess making hotdog pieces with hair which we called "Witchie wienies" Adding spaghetti sauce made "Witchie wienies with blood" which we consumed at a family home evening along with a lovely fresh veggie plate. I think we had brownies for dessert. You had to be there to truly appreciate it. When we got home from Reed's house and reported to our at-home family the boys ( almost in unison) informed me that: "Ma, witches don't have wienies." in droll voices.

See Vicki's blog with a report on Josh's activities.

1 comment:

Laura Swenson said...

I remember... it wasn't brownies...we made a chocolate cake, frosted it and then sprinkled it with spooky sprinkles. We layered it with vanilla frosting so it would look a little "ghosty" when cut. It was grand!