Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Sorting Pictures...WHY ME?????


Now, this is a very frustrating and sad admission. I am an anomaly in a family full of capable women. I am a terrible organizer. I am even terrible at keeping things organized!

So, it is a special kind of hell to have literally boxes and boxes of family history stuff and simply no idea of how to start. Grannie and Auntie managed to box it up. Auntie and I even sat and identified all of the people in the pictures, but there are so many of them...they are so old...if they were kept for the last 100 years, who am I to decide to throw them away...etc, etc, etc.

I am shuffling them from folder to folder, but can't make any decisions. What I need is a plan!

I am a woman with lots of time and no idea how to proceed.

This is a cool picture of Papa (looking down) with some of his friends on an outing before he married. He was working as a lineman for the telegraph company in Atchison, Kansas. It was at about this time that he met our grandmother Eliza Carleton. There are lots more like this. I need suggestions/help.

3 comments:

Eliza said...

What you need is an Emily/Mom intervention. I am also very unorganized. I have been taught how to organize. I have watch people organize things. I just don't practice it myself. Sorry I can't be of more help. If you wanted to throw some kind of photo organization party I could bring the cookies...

emily w. said...

That is an amazing photograph! I would love a copy of that one and any others like it. I think you definitely need to scan them all in and label them w/ names and any background information. I would be happy to work on that for you. We need to get disks of all the pictures to everyone in the family. Once that is done than one person just needs to store all the originals in a safe spot.

Stitching Hen said...

Google offers a place to store your pictures called Picasa. It is free and very user friendly! (Just Google Search "Picasa").
The nifty thing about putting them on a Picasa Web Album, is that if they are lost, starting to fade, or a person's house burns down, they are stored to be pulled up by anyone who YOU invite to view them. You can also add any caption or date that is on the original picture.
Also, the person viewing the Web Album is able to print off any of the pictures they would like to have a print copy of....