Saturday, December 27, 2008

Liza's High School Memory Tag


Now, REALLY!!!! High School was a long, long time ago... back when we used slide rules and went out late at night hoping to see Sputnik slowly making its way across the night sky.

But, here it goes....

1. Did you date someone from school? Yes, several in fact. No one very seriously, but several very, very funny guys.

2. What kind of car did you drive? The kids car was an old Chrysler with a semi-automatic transmission. It was the safety equivalent of sending your kids to school in a Hummer. It was a tank.

3. Were you a party animal? In our time there were no party animals. You were either a good girl or a slut. I did, however, go to a lot of parties. One of the churches rented a storefront and let the youth decorate it and use it anyway they wanted. They called it "The Great Pumpkin" after the then new Charley Brown cartoons. We had a party there every weekend where we danced, played games, etc. It was good innocent fun.

4. Were you considered a flirt? No

5. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? Yes, choir.

6. What was your most embarrassing moment in high school? Open showers and dressing rooms in gym class. We were required to shower in open showers without shower curtains. I hated it. I am very, very modest. It scarred me for life.

7. Were you a nerd? Absolutely not. I was intellectual, but not a nerd exactly. But, I did compete on a state level in slide rule competitions. I joined the team because there were lots of interesting boys on the team and I wanted to meet and date them.

8. Were you on any varsity teams? No

9. Did you get suspended or expelled? Are you kidding???? Never.

10. Can you still sing the fight song? Not for my school, but I can for Amarillo High....

11. Who were your favorite teachers? Sparky Watts...the physics teacher.

12. What was your school's full name? Monterey High School (Lubbock)

13. School mascot? Plainsmen

14. Did you go to homecoming? With who?? Of course! Freshmen year...Greg See. Jr-Tony Rox. Sr- Bill Penn

15. If you could go back and do it again would you? No....been there, done that!

16. What do you remember most about graduation? The extremely large number of graduates...over 1000 in my class. Baby boomers, you understand. We held graduation in the city auditorium which was crammed full. It took forever!

17. Where did you go senior skip day? It was the dark ages. No such thing.

18. Were you in a club? Pre-med club, Slide rule club (remember, I joined the ones with the most boys.)

19. Have you gained some weight since then? Not a pound

20. Who was your prom date? Jr year... can't remember his name...he had red hair. Sr year- Tony Rox.

21. Are you planning on going to your 10 year reunion? No, no my 40th reunion came and went without me...

22. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself? Can't think of anything. I wouldn't listen anyway.

Tag to.........(drumroll) Fleur and Vicki!

2 comments:

clare said...

What a beauty! I love reading about you and my mom in high school!

Eliza said...

I agree with Clare I love the school picture and I love that you can totally tell who it is. I could easily identify your smile in a line up. I think this tag was actually kind of fun. It's neat to hear about other people's past lives. Love ya Laura!!