Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Innauguration


What is wrong with me?? Having been reared in a family in which politics and current events were a second "religion", I am a little ashamed at my pathological lack of interest in the events of yesterday (and the day before...and the day before...etc). In fact, lack of interest barely describes my continuing aversion to all things presidential.

Caravans of buses left Lubbock yesterday carrying families teeming with children to Midland, a two hour drive, to welcome President Bush back to Texas. Free tickets! Free buses! Free, free, free....

I spent my day at the VA outpatient clinic with Harvey waiting for his well patient visit. The TV sets in the large waiting room were all blaring images of parades...etc. All of the old vets in motorized rides were parked with their backs to the televisions and the other warriors buried their heads grouchily in the fishing magazines so abundant in such rooms. Staff hurried about their business seldom glancing at the television. It was a surreal experience. So little interest in the new commander-in-chief.

My head reels when I think of the unbelievable state of our country. I remind myself that I am old, and all old people think it was so much better when they walked 5 miles to school in the snow...uphill....both ways. I thought all old people were farts for their bad attitude towards modern progress and now I am one!

The racial aspect is wonderful, if overblown in the news media. I recall an experience I had with Susan when she was in kindergarten. She came home beaming and blurting her excitement at meeting a new friend, Heather, who was beautiful, had wonderful long braids, and was perhaps the most angelic girl on earth! Heather, Heather, Heather..every conversation for a week was about Heather. A play date was arranged, and when I walked Susan up to the door so I could eyeball Heather and her mom before dropping Susan off for a couple of hours, I was dumbfounded, as was Heather's mom, when the door opened and I realized that Heather was a little black girl and Heather's mom realized that we were white...Susan, with her almost white-blond hair and her Scandinavian skin fairly shining in the sun...very white. We stared at each other and both of us broke out laughing. So much for race! It has never been much of an issue with us, and I am tired of hearing about it. Am I a fart? I guess so.....

4 comments:

Stitching Hen said...

It was interesting to observe how our school reacted to the inauguration.
The teachers who voted for Obama wanted a live feed in their classrooms all day long, on an LCD projector, no less!
Those that made it clear during the elections that they were going to vote for anybody BUT Obama, thought it was a waste of time.
I have learned that politics and religion is a very "hot button" among educators and during work time, it is better to keep my mouth shut on either subject!

emily w. said...

I was in the same boat as you Laura. Since we don't have TV it was even easier for me not to pay any attention. For me the race thing isn't even an issue. I guess that's why I'm not peeing my pants at the thought of the first black President. Now what I would have been excited about was a new President who was actually a qualified and proven leader, someone who understands and wants to defend the Constitution. I just don't see what's so exciting about an unqualified, media-prop being elected to the most important office in the world--even if he's black.

Unknown said...

Are we going to become an "Obamanation"?

Mom/Linda said...

I will frankly admit to having a bad attitude right now in regards to politics in general. I think it's equal parts sour grapes and fear for my country. I want to be intellectually honest, though, so if our new president does anything encouraging I will be leading the cheers. I truly hope that he turns out to be a great president, that he is guided by inspiration and not agenda, and that our nation can survive and thrive.