I am finding a lot of writing done by Eliza Carleton Green. They are not dated, but some of them have been sent off somewhere and have criticism written in the margins.
This is one of her poems:
The Wood Lot
Of all the past enjoyments
That still to memory cling,
I love most to ponder o'er
The wood lot in the spring.
Far down across the meadow,
Close beside the brook,
The oak tree and the willow
Their leafy branches shook.
In the soft and gentle breeze
That whispered low and clear --
Awake and grow! feel now at ease,
For summer days are near.
The birdies held a banquet.
The bunnies gave a ball.
Both were staged beneath the trees
Close by the waterfall,
Which laughed and gurgled as it fell
In sparkling radiant mood,
And hurried on to join the creek
That wound on through the wood.
There close beside its rocky bank
The violet beds we found
And farther on the sunny slopes
In lilies did abound.
I close my eyes and ponder --
A million memories cling;
And once again I wander
In the wood lot; and it's Spring.
That still to memory cling,
I love most to ponder o'er
The wood lot in the spring.
Far down across the meadow,
Close beside the brook,
The oak tree and the willow
Their leafy branches shook.
In the soft and gentle breeze
That whispered low and clear --
Awake and grow! feel now at ease,
For summer days are near.
The birdies held a banquet.
The bunnies gave a ball.
Both were staged beneath the trees
Close by the waterfall,
Which laughed and gurgled as it fell
In sparkling radiant mood,
And hurried on to join the creek
That wound on through the wood.
There close beside its rocky bank
The violet beds we found
And farther on the sunny slopes
In lilies did abound.
I close my eyes and ponder --
A million memories cling;
And once again I wander
In the wood lot; and it's Spring.


5 comments:
Laura,
My e-mail is scarlr@hotmail.com
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Carl
Thank you so MUCH for all the time you spend scanning pictures and going through family papers. It is fun to look at your pictures through the "slideshow" because it shows them so large and clear.
THE WOOD LOT is sentimental and sweet. I went and looked at Eliza's picture and reread it, imagining her sitting and writing it.
I don't know our kids email addresses... we "talk" through MySpace, so I will ask them and get back to you. Love you.
I know you don't need another project, so if you want to send me all of Eliza's writings, I would be happy to compile them into a little booklet for everyone. I think it would be a nice keepsake.
Laura-
I got the invite to Picasa. Those photos of Sam are very interesting. The photo of Sam and Hershall and all you siblings is so cute, reminds me of the little rascals or something. I really enjoy seeing these histories of our family- especially seeing Hershall, Granny and Auntie when they were young and of course my cute Dad. Thank you so much!
Thank you for all the work you do! Our e-mail is teasermonkey@hotmail.com
Thanks,Sarah
Post a Comment