With all of the witty and sarcastic folks in the family I was sure that one of you would have made a comment about my new blog title. It was Vicki's idea...after all, she knows us best. We are old(just ask the grandkids) and in the early stages of being crippled(mountain climbing is no longer one of our options), so it seemed appropriate.
Much thanks and many kisses go to Carl and Heather for the wonderful update to their blog. I really enjoyed the video and the pictures of the pool and Aubrey on the horse. I think horseback riding lessons are a great idea. Aubrey might enjoy reading some of the great books out now about girls who love horses. I am interested in whether she has a name for her future horse... Let me know.
We had a great holiday. We went to a friend's house. They live out in the country and have a great backyard with a firepit. We roasted hotdogs and watch all of the children play. When it began to get dark the boys all gathered behind the fence and began popping the firecrackers and other noisy fireworks they had brought. I am sure that between the four families, we must have had $300 worth of fireworks. But the real show began after the sun went down. Most of the neighbors also began sending their rockets into the air. We sat in lawn chairs and watched a brilliant and sometimes thrillingly dangerous show. We got a real taste of what the fireworks represent as some of the cluster rockets exploded a little low and showered us with hot, glowing embers!
Every now and then, one of the boys would casually walk by the firepit encircled with parents in lawnchairs, and toss a handful of firecrackers into the pit which would explode sending bits and pieces of ash into the air and around the scattering adults. One of them even tossed in a roman candle which shot brightly colored balls into the flames in a very exciting display!
All in all, a great time with no casualties. The only thing missing was that we couldn't share it with all of you. Maybe some other year we can all get together for fireworks and hotdogs!
Monday, July 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I hope that we aren't instituting a "truth in advertising" policy for our blog titles! If so, I will have to change the name of mine to "Fat and Sassy" or maybe "The Old Gray Mare She Ain't What She Used To Be." I'd like to see Emily work that into a new banner for me!
Wow, we aren't allowed to have that kind of 4th fun in California being a nanny state and all.
Aubrey does not yet have a name for a possible future horse but I will keep you posted. People out here are actually starting to give horses away because it is getting so expensive to feed them.
Post a Comment